A Lovely Georgian / Victorian Period Quality Brass Made Frame / Tightening Screw part only, from a Petite Tourniquet. Makers Mark on Thumb Screw Reads: EVANS & CO 31 STAMFORD STREET LONDON. Evans & Wormull / Co were active from the 1670’s – 1870’s as Manufacturers & Supplier of Surgical Instruments, operating from London. Makers Mark on Bottom Clamp Reads: T.G. Known to have been used by Military Surgeon in the following Theaters of War: The Napoleonic Wars c.1799 – 1815. On HMS Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar c.1805. The U.S. Civil War c.1899 – 1902. Both the First South African War c.16 Sep 1880 – 23 Mar 1881 & the Anglo Boer War (fought by Britain & her Empire against the Boers) c.1899 – 1902. The Great War.
Notes: The tourniquet is used to apply pressure to stop heavy bleeding, especially during amputations. John-Louis Petit (1674-1760), a Parisian surgeon, was the first of many to introduce improvements to the tourniquet, which was invented by Ambroise Paré in the 1500’s. In 1718, Petit attached a circular bandage to a screw and a leather pad to allow pressure to be focused on a specific point. It had the advantage of not requiring an assistant to apply constant pressure to the bleeding and became the most commonly used tourniquet throughout the 1800’s due to its simple but effective design. Before this invention, the tourniquet was a simple garrote, tightened by twisting a rod. The word Tourniquet derives from the French word tourner (Turn).
Dimensions: 65 mm x 44 mm x 33 mm.
Code: 50879Price: 48.00 GBP